Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Web Content Display Web Content Display

Health care

Information for Collegium Medicum students can be find at Division for Education and Academic Careers

All students must have health insurance throughout their education. Health insurance confirmation must be submitted during the enrolment for studies or before the beginning of an academic year.

The documents that are accepted as insurance proof are following:
  • insurance policy;
  • ZUS ZZA print;
  • ZUS ZZA print plus an agreement for voluntary health insurance with the National Health Fund (NFZ Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) (students without Polish ancestry);
  • or the European Health Insurance Card - EHIC (in polish: EKUZ – Europejska Karta Ubezpieczenia Zdrowotnego);
  • a certificate from an employer or Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) confirming the payment of health insurance contribution for the last three months;

National Health Fund (NFZ) - information for students (in Polish only)

How to get health insurance?

  • If you have a valid EHIC card issued in an EU or EFTA country, you also have insurance on the territory of Poland. You can obtain the card even before leaving your country to study in Poland.
  • If you do not have an EHIC card, your parent should register you for the insurance as a family member. The card may be made in the country in which you apply for it.
  • If a parent cannot register you for the insurance, you may apply for insurance at Jagiellonian University by submitting the electronic form.
  • Remember that you may apply for insurance at the University only if you cannot get insurance as a family member in your country!


EHIC card allows you to get medical treatment only for a sudden illness.

If you suffer from chronic diseases and want to continue the treatment begun before coming to Poland, you must obtain the appropriate form in your country and register it in NFZ. Depending on the circumstances, S or E series document allows you to get more extensive treatment than an EHIC card. A doctor will not determine if the treatment is necessary before your return to your country. 

Remember that you cannot have an EHIC card in more than one EU/EFTA country at a time. It is also impossible to have duplicated health insurance that entitles you to an EHIC card.

Students from this group may get insurance in two ways: 

1.       buy commercial health insurance

The insurance should cover the amount of EUR 30,000 and the cost of hospital treatment in Poland. The insurance period cannot exceed the number of stays abroad, e.g. two-year insurance, but allowing one to stay in Poland only for 365 days or one-year insurance enabling one to stay in Poland for 90 days is unacceptable;

If the insurance agreement was concluded abroad, it has to be translated by Polish sworn translator to Polish or English (if the studies are conducted in English).

A copy of the insurance with the original document should be delivered to the secretary’s office responsible for your studies.

2.       sign an agreement with NFZ and pay contributions to Social Insurance Institution (ZUS):

How to do it? 

Visit NFZ Regional Branch in Kraków and sign an agreement on voluntary health insurance. Address: ul. Wadowicka 8W.

Documents necessary to sign an agreement: 

  • passport;
  • valid visa;
  • confirmation of studies (until 30th September to be obtained as well in the Welcome Centre at ul. Ingardena 6, after 1st October from the secretary’s office);
  • document confirming permanent stay in Poland;
  • PESEL number;
  • authorisation from a parent in the case of minors.

Then visit any ZUS branch and register your agreement with NFZ there. Only this step confirms your registration for the insurance in NFZ. ZUS provides a bank account number to which students should pay monthly contributions. An agreement with NFZ , with ZUS ZZA print, and the confirmation of payment of the last contribution constitute confirmation of insurance. 

Deliver the confirmation of insurance to the secretary’s office responsible for your studies. 

The contribution amount is PLN 55,80 (as for February 2023).

Notice! Insurance in NFZ cannot be duplicated. In the case of getting another insurance in NFZ, e.g. based on an employment contract, contract of mandate (in the case of students under 26 years old), registration of a business, or obligatory insurance from a working spouse, it should be immediately reported at the University.